Tuesday, February 15, 2011

coming to a close

This term is starting to wind down, but the pressure is definitely on. I apparently did not do so hot on last weeks Ochem exam-a D. D for downer because that is how I felt yesterday. But I am pretty excited about the fact that I got an 85 on my Women's Studies exam. Very exciting.

I have 3 papers to write this term for finals, which I have never experienced before but at least the topics are all in advance warning. For one I just have to discuss what I have learned about Broadway musicals from the class as well as being able to apply that logic/knowledge to more current musicals. The next is an extensive paper exploring a topic that challenges Feminism, specifically how horizontal hostility is a huge part of the division among women as well as the institutions in our society that encourage and fuel these divisions leading to a stunt or lull in active Feminism.

Lastly I get to write a paper exploring a factor that affects calving or calf performance, as well as present this to the entire class in a five minute presentation. Got to say I am more nervous for the presentation than I am about writing the paper. Words are easy if you get a few minutes to think about them, but saying them is a whole other ball game that forces your blood pressure to skyrocket and your pale face to flush so that everyone watching you knows you are nervous. EEK!

The topic I chose was how nutrition of the dam(momma cow) affects the quantity and quality of immunoglobins in colostrum. This is crucial because we know that within the first 12-24 hours the passive immunity of calves decreases from 30-70% in a 12 hour window. The higher quality the colostrum the more likely your calf crop is to be protected against common diseases albeit bacterial, parasitic, or environmental.

I haven't started on this yet at all but the rough draft is due tomorrow and I really ought to work on it tonight. Oy ve, why didn't I bring my topic and peer reviewed journal source with me so I could get ahead. That's the downer to living outside of town.

On the upside it is supposed to get down to freezing, and if it stays dry/cold enough the cows might get outside for a few hours. However they seem to really enjoy their new rations. Go us!

Spring,

Where are you? Our pea plants have 2 more weeks then they are ready for the ground. Please warm up, I am begging you. Also, if you could rain a little less that'd be great. I got a little spoiled with the dry cold air these last few weeks and forgot how unpleasant mud can be. Thanks so much!

-Goose

1 comment:

  1. In his dialogs, Plato describes the farmer (please remember they were men then) as the ideal man. Farmers have always been highly resourceful because they face unexpected problems daily. One of the outstanding poets of his day, Robert Burns, was a farmer. My grandfather was afarmer by trade in europe, but transferred his skills to gardening when he lived in the US and was well thought of by his upscale clients.

    ReplyDelete