Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Hey Hey

So it's February already! I am very much excited. The bulbs all over Corvallis are sprouting, and some even have buds already developed and ready to bloom. It truly is amazing, although this sudden cold spell kinda sucks. It could be worse though, it could be Houston or Ohio. Glad its not though.

We did get the cows AI-ed last Monday and now we play the waiting game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and thinking good thoughts. Speaking of pregnant cows, their are 7 at school who are no longer pregnant-very exciting! I'm really enjoying my calving school class, and I got to help pull a calf-it got one of its legs stuck so she couldn't push him out. It was definitely an interesting night and we (Bee and I) were there until 5 am. What a long long night. LEARNING EXPERIENCES!!!

Also, Mum got me a fantastic book for my birthday recently. It is titled "Holy Shit! Managing Manure to Save Mankind", by far one of the most practical yet enjoyable books I have read in quite sometime. I learned so much, and it has sparked my own interest to look into the different manure handling practices that we could incorporate into our own farm that are much more environmentally friendly and efficient uses of such valuable fertilizer.

No comments:

Post a Comment